Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Summer Please

So far it's been a lazy, sleepy summer. Full of delicious, fresh, organic foods,* really good company, sleeping in everyday, and running.
No one seems to want to hire me (or anyone else, for that matter) for summer jobs, but I'm not devastated about that, just slowly running out of money. I start my GRE course in about two weeks and I'd really like to have a day job before so I'm not completely mad with foodlessness or shame.
Life after college is strange in that it just extends so far into the future. I kept joking on graduation day when I got my grades back and all was said and done that I didn't have any short term goals anymore. I've made some but they're a little silly and certainly less practical or guided or externally confirmable than academic goals. I have said for that past year that once I graduated I would shift my thinking from goal-driven days to soul-improvement days, being slower and more careful with my time and my decisions. I'm realizing over the past few weeks, though, it's a complicated shift and I feel much more comfortable and centered having short term goals. A vocation. A reason to use my planner. Income. It takes just as much discipline, it seems, to read on my own, to write for myself, to job search every day, to wake up, to relax, to know I'm completely normal and fine for having taken three weeks off.

I move out of Walter this week into my beautiful Carrboro sublet. I have loved this house so much. It's one of the first times I've lived in one place this long since college--I typically move every semester--and it's so peaceful to feel like I have a definite home. We've had such a hilarious, creative, productive year and I am so grateful to have gotten to spend 10 months with my brother. Our friendship has gotten even more awesome I think.
I will miss the theme parties, the circus ceiling, red room. I will miss the clompy footsteps of students running down the hill outside my front door in sandals to catch the bus. There are a bunch of things I won't miss.
I look forward to riding my bike around, going to the Farmer's Market every Saturday, seeing Elaine a billion times a week, Open Eye afternoons. Yes please. Yes.

Oh, and the sun finally came out today. Jumping for joy. Tomorrow I think I'm going to go to Asheville and spend a solid 48 hours by the pool with a book.

*Except for the fact that I'm trying to clean out the pantry before I move and have been using condensed milk (bought in January for snowcream) in my tea. A little strange but ridiculously good. And WWIIish.

No comments:

Post a Comment